Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Blog#2 (Movie Review)

Forgetting Sarah Marshall
I would categorize this movie as a romantic comedy. I got pretty much what I expected when it came to that genre; few funny moments, romance, that’s pretty much it.
The story line follows Peter, who works as a sound technician for a crime television show similar to CSI or NCIS. The beautiful blonde star of the show, Sarah Marshall, has been dating Peter for five years. Right off the bat we witness the rather anti-climactic breakup and montage of this depression thereafter. Peter realizes that he deserves a getaway, what better place than Hawaii. Soon after arriving at his resort he spots none other than his ex, the famous Sarah Marshall, and she is not alone. Despite the fact that he came to a getaway to “forget Sarah Marshall” the cute and friendly hotel employee Rachel convinces him to stay and enjoy himself. The next few days are filled with convenient and repetitive awkward run-ins with Sarah and her British rock-star boyfriend. These run-ins didn’t provide as much comedy or laughs for me as I would’ve hoped, like sitting at the table a crossed from them at dinner, attending the same yoga class, or getting the room right next door, just seemed very expected and dull to me. Putting it in those lines, it followed the romantic comedy “rules” very well seeing as those movies always seem to be predictable. There was however an unexpected twist that makes you question if the movie was leading you the wrong way. Another romance sparks between Peter and Rachel (who personally, I vote for). Peter seems to befriend most of the hotel employees in his four days there. The movie sticks true to its name; it is all centered on the breakup and his getting over it. I also sense that there was some kind of message, lesson, or relationship wisdom you were supposed to pick up at the end, but I was unsure as to what it was. In the end it did leave you with a goodish feeling, as true with most romantic comedies, when they stick to the rules of course. The feeling of the movie can be easily compared to Knocked Up or The 40 Year Old Virgin.
An example of stereotypes to quickly introduce a character would definitely have to be the character of Aldous Snow (Sarah’s new boyfriend). He has/ needs no background because they classify him as the British rockstar; the audience automatically assumes everything else. I am not sure why “male British rockstar” is a stereotype but I can think of several examples: Zenon The Zequel, Confessisions of a Teenage Dramaqueen, and Get Him To The Greek.
I was slightly disappointed in this movie. I believe I would’ve enjoyed it much more if it wasn’t “hyped up” or spoken so greatly to me by other people. I enjoyed the quirky charm of this movie, and thought the casting of Jason Segal as Peter and Mila Kunis as Rachel was perfect. I disliked however the casting of Kristen Bell as Sarah Marshall. I am not sure whether I just didn’t not like Sarah Marshall as a character or what but she just came off a snooty b*tch the whole time. I did not connect with that character at all, just felt like it was bad acting. I believe that it is one of those movies you have to watch with friends when you are in a goofy mood to laugh at. Overall, it was a nice movie that might give you a few smirks or small giggles. Worth watching on a rainy day, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to see it.

4 comments:

  1. I have seen this movie too, and it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. You have a good way with words, and your writing is very easy to read. I liked your honesty in your judgements of the "comedy" and characters. I think the lesson in the end was that they were both so wrapped up in what was happening to them, that they unknowingly overlooked the other. At least he figured out that she was not good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you have a way with words that a lot of people do not. I actually liked this movie, I thought it was funny and it was a typical funny/romantic comedy; however, I can't stand Russell Brand. He isn't funny, he is just loud and annoying. On a positive note though, your blogs are very interesting and can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forgetting Sarah Marshell is my all time favorite comedy. You illustrated this very well with your writing. I especially like the scene where the surf instructor says "you sound like you from London." absolutely classic. Plus the movie has to of the hottest girls in it so thats a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgetting Sarah Marshell in my opinion is not a good comedy. In order to be a good comedy you have to appeal to a variety of different people. I feel as if though Sarah Marshell does not.

    ReplyDelete